When I was a kid growing up I was treated to the most wonderful Italian food because my Grandmother was fantastic cook! She would make veal parm and allow us to sample while she was making it. I rarely buy veal because it is hard to find and very expensive, but I have found that boneless pork roast sliced thin is a great substitution for veal cutlet. This is my grandmother’s recipe for veal parm or my recipe for pork parm adapted from my grandmother’s recipe.
- Boneless pork roast, sliced thin
- 1 cup Italian bread crumbs
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 2 tablespoons grated cheese
- 2 eggs
- dash of each – salt, pepper, garlic powder, onion powder, grated cheese
- Olive Oil and Vegetable Oil for frying
- Grated Mozzarella Cheese
- Tomato Sauce
- Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees
- Beat eggs with dash of each – salt, pepper, garlic powder, onion powder, grated cheese in a bowl
- Mix bread crumbs, flour, garlic powder, salt, pepper, onion powder, and grated cheese together in a bowl
- Heat skillet with half inch of oil – 1/2 olive oil, 1/2 vegetable oil
- Dip pork cutlets into the egg. Let egg drain off cutlet and then place cutlet into bread crumb mixture.
- Place cutlets into hot oil and fry until golden brown on both sides.
- Drain onto paper towels
- Coat an oven proof dish with a layer of tomato sauce.
- Place fried cutlets into dish and top with a bit of sauce.
- Top with grated mozzarella cheese
- Place dish into oven for 15 minutes or until cheese is melted.
- Remove from oven and serve with your favorite pasta and sauce.