- 2-3 lb. beef chuck pot roast
- 1 tbsp. cooking oil
- 2 med. carrots, coarsely chopped
- 2 ribs celery, sliced (1 cup)
- 1 med. onion, sliced
- 1 tsp. minced garlic
- 1 tbsp. quick-cooking tapioca
- 1 can stewed tomatoes (141/2 oz.)
- 1 can tomato paste (6 oz.)
- 1 tbsp. brown sugar
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/4 tsp. pepper
- 1 bay leaf
- 12 oz. packaged dried egg noodles
- Trim fat from pot roast. Cut roast, if necessary, to fit into a 3 1/2 or 4-quart Crock Pot. Heat oil in a large skillet. Cook roast in hot oil until brown on all sides. Drain off fat.
- Meanwhile, place carrots, celery, onion, and garlic in cooker. Sprinkle tapioca over vegetables. Place roast on top of vegetables.
- Combine the undrained tomatoes, the tomato paste, brown sugar, salt, pepper, and bay leaf in a medium bowl. Pour over roast.
- Cover and cook on low for 10 to 12 hours (high 4 to 5 hours). Discard bay leaf. Skim off fat.
- Cook noodles according to package directions. Serve meat and vegetables with noodles.
Yield: 8 servings