This Potato Cheddar Soup is a great soup for a cold day. It takes just a short time to prepare and it is a hearty warm treat. Chicken broth can be replaced if you’d like to make this a vegetarian option.
- 2 tbsp. butter or oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, finely chopped
- 3 med. potatoes, peeled and diced
- 1 1/2 c. chicken stock / can replace chicken stock with vegetable stock if preferred
- 1 1/2 c. milk
- 1 1/2 c. grated Cheddar cheese
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2 tbsp. chopped fresh parsley
- Melt butter in a large saucepan. Add onions and garlic. Cook until tender but do not brown. Add potatoes and combine well. Stir in chicken stock. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat. Cook gently, covered, 20 minutes, until potatoes are tender.
- Puree half the soup. Return to saucepan. Stir in milk and heat just until mixture comes to a boil. Stir in cheese, reserve some for garnishing. Cook gently, stirring, until cheese melts. Add salt and pepper to taste. Garnish each serving with chopped parsley and more cheddar cheese.