This recipe for potato leek soup is easy to make and can be served as a hearty, chunky soup or as a creamed soup. It can be served as your first course, alongside a sandwich, or with a salad and a crusty bread as your entree.
- 3 medium boiling potatoes
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 2 medium leeks (white parts only), halved lengthwise, sliced thin crosswise, and washed well
- 2 1/2 cups chicken broth
- 1/2 cup heavy cream or half and half
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Peel potatoes and dice into 1/2-inch cubes.
- In a 3 1/2 to 4-quart saucepan saute leeks in butter over medium-low heat, stirring until tender. Add potato stirring occasionally, 2 minutes. Stir in broth and simmer, uncovered, 15 minutes, or until potato is very tender.
- If desired, in a blender purée soup in batches until smooth (Caution! Hot liquids create steam which will blow the top off the blender! Be sure to securely hold blender lid down!), and transfer to another saucepan.
- Stir in cream or half and half and season with salt & pepper to taste and heat over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until hot.
Makes 2 to 3 servings.