Potatoes au Gratin. I haven’t made these in years but they will be on my Christmas dinner table this year. These potatoes aren’t the healthiest option, but they are delicious!
- 1/2 onion, chopped
- 4 tbsp butter
- 4 tbsp flour
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 2 cups milk
- 1/2 cup half and half
- 6 cups potatoes, peeled and sliced thinly
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- In a small bowl, combine flour, salt and pepper.
- In a large pot, saute chopped onions in butter untill soft but not browned.
- Stir flour mixture into onion mixture, add milk and half and half.
- Stir and cook over medium heat till mixture begins to thicken (about 3 minutes).
- Turn off heat.
- Add 1 1/2 cups cheese to the sauce and stir till melted and smooth.
- Add sliced potatoes and stir well to combine.
- Pour mixture into a 9×13 casserole dish sprayed with no stick spray.
- Cover with foil and bake at 350 for 35 minutes.
- Remove foil, sprinkle reserved cheese over top and return to oven to bake another 30 minutes until potatoes are soft, cheese is melted and edges begin to brown.
- Let stand a few minutes before serving to allow sauce to thicken.