This recipe for Pumpkin Date & Nut Bread combines two of my fondest childhood memories – my Grandmother’s pumpkin bread and a fabulous date and nut bread my mother used to buy for us as a treat near the holidays.
As Thanksgiving approaches recipes using pumpkin come to mind. This pumpkin date and nut bread is great served as a dessert or for breakfast with a cup of coffee or tea.
- 2 2/3 cups sugar
- 2/3 cups vegetable oil
- 4 eggs
- 2 cups pumpkin (solid pack, canned)
- 3 1/3 cups flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 2/3 cup water
- 2/3 cup chopped pecans or walnuts
- 2/3 cup chopped dates
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Using a mixer, cream oil and sugar in a large bowl. Add eggs, 1 at a time, mixing after each.
- Stir in pumpkin.
- Sift dry ingredients together and beat into creamed mixture.
- Beat in water.
- Toss nuts and dates in a tiny bit of flour just to coat; add to batter and blend.
- Place batter in two 9×5 greased loaf pans.
- Bake for 1 hour; test for doneness and bake a little longer, if necessary.