Pumpkin season is here. This is a great recipe for pumpkin scones. Tender and delicious and absolutely perfect with that cup of coffee or tea in the morning!!
- 4-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 3 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup cold butter
- 2 eggs
- 1-1/4 cups canned pumpkin
- 3/4 cup milk, divided
- 2 cups confectioners’ sugar
- 3 tablespoons milk
- 1/4 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- Combine the first seven ingredients in a large bowl.
- Cut in the butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
- Whisk the eggs, pumpkin and 1/2 cup milk in another bowl and stir into dry ingredients just until moistened.
- Turn onto a floured surface; knead 10 times. (Do not over-knead or scones will become tough.)
- Divide dough in half. Pat each portion into an 8-in. circle; cut each into eight wedges.
- Separate wedges and place 1 in. apart on ungreased baking sheets. Brush with remaining milk.
- Bake at 400° for 12-15 minutes or until golden brown.
- Remove to wire racks; cool for 10 minutes.
- Combine the glaze ingredients; drizzle over scones. Serve warm.
- Yield: 16 scones.