Here is a simple yet indulgent recipe to add to your Christmas cookie platter. Raspberry Crumb Bars are especially delicious while they are still warm!!
- 1 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 1/2 tsp vanilla
- 2 cups flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup rolled oats
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- 1 cup raspberry jam
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Grease a 9-inch square pan with butter or cooking spray.
- In a mixing bowl, beat the butter and sugar until well blended. Beat in vanilla. Add the flour and salt and beat just until the flour is incorporated. The dough will be crumbly. Press about two-thirds of the dough into the greased pan. Bake for 10 minutes, or until the edges are lightly golden.
- While the shortbread cools slightly, mix the oats and nuts into the remaining one-third of the dough. The mixture will be very crumbly; it is easier to use your hands to mix the topping.
- Spread the raspberry jam on the shortbread, then evenly cover the jam with the crumb topping. (TIP: for easy jam spreading, heat the jam slightly in the microwave; stir and pour over crust.)
- Bake the bars for 20-25 mins, or until the topping is golden brown.
- Cool on a wire rack for about 15-20 minutes. While the shortbread is still slightly warm, cut it into 16 squares, then cut each square in half diagonally. Once the triangles cool completely (they are very fragile while warm), lift them from the pan with a metal spatula.