One of my son’s fondest memories – lifetime – was eating roasted garlic red skinned mashed potatoes which he had while we were in Disney many years ago. My son just turned 20 and the thing he wanted most for his birthday was these potatoes. I hope I can deliver but I fear the childhood memory has been glorified. I will do my best, however.
- 1 head garlic
- Olive oil, for drizzling
- 2 lbs. red potatoes, scrubbed and cut in large chunks
- 4 Tbsp. butter
- 3/4 c. half-and-half
- 2 Tbsp. cream cheese
- Plenty of kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 2 Tbsp. black sesame seeds
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees.
- Slice off the top of the head of garlic and drizzle cut side with olive oil. Wrap in foil. Bake about 35 minutes. Let cool.
- Place potatoes in a large pot filled with water. Add salt and bring to a boil. Cook until fork tender and drain.
- Remove the cloves of garlic and mash with a wooden spoon.
- Mash the potatoes. Stir in mashed garlic, butter, half-and-half, and cream cheese, and continue mashing to the desired consistency. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Sprinkle with black sesame seeds and serve hot.