There is nothing quite like salt cod and potatoes. These salt cod potato cakes combine these two simple ingredients making a flavorful appetizer or entree. Serve hot with a big wedge of lemon and your favorite tartar sauce!
- 3/4 lb. salt cod filet, soaked 24 hours, drained
- 1 1/2 lbs. Russet potatoes (2-3 large potatoes)
- 2 Tbs. chopped Italian flat parsley
- 1 egg
- 2-3 tsp. lemon juice, to taste
- Freshly ground black pepper to taste
- Oil or butter for the pan
- Peel, halve and boil the potatoes in salted water until tender.
- Pick any bones from the cod. Cover with water, bring to a boil, and cook until flaky. Drain.
- Mash the potatoes until lump-free with a simple hand masher.
- Add the cod, beaten egg and parsley, season with pepper, and continue to mash until you have an almost-smooth mixture.
- Taste, and if needed, season, and add a little lemon juice.
- Form small cakes, heat a non-stick or well-seasoned cast iron pan over medium heat, and add a layer of oil or butter. Fry the cakes until the bottom is browned, turn with a spatula, and cook the other side.
- Serve hot, with a little tartar sauce.