Sesame Shrimp Toast is a classic Chinese restaurant appetizer that we’ve been ordering when we are eating out for years. I never considered how it was made and I certainly never considered making it. But, now I have. Here is a great recipe for sesame shrimp toast if you are one of those who loves it as we do.
- 8 oz. of raw, peeled shrimp
- 1 scallion
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon light soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 egg white, beaten
- 3 thin slices of white bread, crusts removed
- 4 tablespoons sesame seeds
- vegetable oil for deep frying
- Put the shrimp and scallion in a food processor and process until finely ground.
- Add salt, soy sauce, cornstarch, and egg white. Mix well.
- Spread the shrimp mixture onto one side of each piece of bread.
- Spread the sesame seeds on top of the shrimp mixture on each slice of bread, pressing firmly.
- Cut each slice of bread into 4 equal triangles.
- Heat oil for deep frying in a wok until almost smoking. Carefully place the triangles in the oil, coated side down, and cook for 2-3 minutes until golden brown.
- Remove with a slotted spoon and serve hot.