This is my go-to bisque recipe. If I have shrimp shells, I make a stock by boiling the shrimp shells and then straining the broth. I use this broth instead of chicken soup base.
- 1/2 cup butter or margarine – divided use
- 1 pound medium shrimp, peeled, deveined and chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup chopped celery
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 3 cups water
- 1 tablespoon tomato ketchup
- 1 teaspoon chicken soup base or bouillon
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tablespoon seasoned salt
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper (optional)
- 1 (12-ounce) can Evaporated Milk
- 2 tablespoons dry white wine or water
- Melt 2 tablespoons butter in medium saucepan over medium heat. Add shrimp, onion and celery; cook, stirring occasionally, until shrimp turn pink. Remove from saucepan; set aside.
- Melt remaining butter in same saucepan over medium heat. Stir in flour. Gradually stir in water, ketchup, bouillon, bay leaf, seasoned salt and cayenne pepper. Boil, stirring occasionally; reduce heat to low. Cook, stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes. Add shrimp mixture; cook, stirring occasionally, for 2 minutes. Discard bay leaf. Stir in evaporated milk and wine. Heat through; do not boil.
Makes 6 servings.
Preparation Time: 10 mins
Cooking Time: 15 mins