Spanish rice is a great dish that can be prepared quickly and easily. Spanish rice is one of those dishes that everyone seems to like. I sometimes serve Spanish rice as a the main course along with a tossed salad and a crusty loaf of French bread which makes this a very inexpensive meal. It is hearty, filling, and fun.
Spanish rice is obviously a great side dish and is perfect to serve alongside grilled fish or chicken or anything else you might want to serve it with.
I’m not sure if it’s only me, but I think Spanish rice is great at room temperature and I sometimes serve it as a cold rice salad. I often feel that Spanish rice tastes better left over. The flavors seem to intensify and become more distinctive as it sits. Either way – hot or cold – served immediately or left over, Spanish rice is a great food. Enjoy!
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 cup uncooked white rice
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 carrots, diced
- 1/2 green bell pepper, chopped
- 2 cups water
- 1 (10 ounce) can diced tomatoes and green chiles
- 2 teaspoons chili powder, or to taste
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Heat oil in a deep skillet over medium heat. Saute rice, onion, and bell pepper until rice is browned and onions are tender.
- Stir in water and tomatoes. Season with chili powder and salt. Cover, and simmer for 30 minutes, or until rice is cooked and liquid is absorbed.