- 1/3 cup rice vinegar
- 1 1/2 Tbs. sugar
- Pinch of sea salt
- Pinch of freshly ground pepper
- 1 cucumber, cut into slices about 1/4 inch thick
- 1/4 red onion, thinly sliced
- 1 jalapeño chili, thinly sliced
- Leaves from 1/4 bunch fresh cilantro
- 2 Tbs. roasted peanuts
- Combine the vinegar, sugar, salt and pepper in a small pot.
- Bring to a boil over medium-high heat, then reduce the heat to low.
- Cook 2-3 minutes, stirring occasionally until the sugar dissolves.
- Remove from the heat and let cool completely.
- Place the cucumber slices, onion and chili in a large bowl and pour in the vinegar mixture. Stir to coat well. Leave the bowl out at room temperature for at least 30 minutes, stirring occasionally, to blend the flavors.
- Right before serving, coarsely chop the cilantro and the peanuts. Add the cilantro to the salad and stir. Top with the peanuts right before serving.
- Serve at room temperature. Serves 4.