You’ve got to try these Spicy Sweet Asian Meatballs!Serve as an appetizer with toothpicks or serve as an entree with bok choy or other Asian vegetables and rice, this recipe is bound to be a keeper.
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 cup soy sauce
- 2 Tbsp rice vinegar
- 1 tsp sesame oil
- 1 Tbsp chili garlic sauce (more if you like a lot of heat)
- 3 Tbsp brown sugar
- 1 tsp fresh grated ginger
- 1 1/4 lbs ground turkey
- 1/4 cup and 1 Tbsp diced green onions, including whites, divided
- 1/3 cup panko bread crumbs
- 1 egg, lightly whisked
- 1 Tbsp soy sauce
- 1/4 cup mushrooms, finely diced
- 1 Tbsp fresh grated ginger*
- 2 tsp chili garlic sauce
- salt and pepper
- 1 Tbsp vegetable oil
- sesame seeds for garnish
*Helpful Tip: Fresh Ginger may be stored in the freezer. When you need it, just grate with a zester right off the frozen chunk!
- In a small saucepan, whisk together the water, soy sauce, rice vinegar, chili sauce, brown sugar and grated ginger.
- Heat over medium-high heat until it comes to a boil, then reduce heat medium-low and simmer until reduced and thickened.
- While the sauce is thickening, combine turkey, green onions, bread crumbs, egg, soy sauce, mushrooms, grated ginger, chili sauce, salt and pepper (reserving one tablespoon of the green onion tops) in a medium bowl.
- Shape into 2-inch meatballs.
- Heat vegetable oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the meatballs and cook for about 6 minutes, turning to brown all sides evenly. Reduce heat to medium and pour in the sauce. Continue to cook for 5-10 minutes, or until a meatball cut in half is fully cooked/no longer pink, and the sauce coats the meatballs.
- Serve hot over rice with steamed baby bok choy and sesame seeds and green onion tops for garnish.