I’m not a big dessert fan . In fact I only make dessert a few times a year and if it is at all possible I ask someone else to make it. This Strawberry Ice Box Cake caught my eye however. It is a quick and easy recipe that doesn’t involve any real measurement and doesn’t require an oven. If you have a desire for peaches or raspberries instead of strawberries, use them instead. I love recipes that are so forgiving!
- 2 pounds fresh strawberries, washed
- 3 1/4 cups whipping cream, divided
- 1/3 cup confectioners sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 4 sleeves (about 19 ounces, or 24 to 28 whole crackers) graham crackers
- 3 ounces dark chocolate sauce
- Take out a few of the best-looking strawberries and set them aside for the garnish. Hull the remainder of the strawberries and slice each berry into thin slices.
- With a hand mixer or in the bowl of a stand mixer, whip 3 cups of cream until it just holds stiff peaks. Add the confectioners sugar and vanilla and whip to combine.
- Spread a small spoonful of whipped cream on the bottom of a 9×13 inch baking pan, or a similarly-sized platter. Lay down six graham crackers. Lightly cover the top of the graham crackers with more whipped cream, and then a single layer of strawberries. Repeat three times, until you have four layers of graham crackers. Spread the last of the whipped cream over the top and swirl it lightly with a spoon. Add a few more strawberries.
- Drizzle chocolate over the layered dessert with a spoon, or transfer to a squeeze bottle and use that to drizzle.
- Refrigerate for at least four hours, or until the crackers have softened completely. Garnish with additional berries.