Strawberries are already in our local markets and pretty soon we will have local strawberries at our farm stands and in our markets. Bake these fresh strawberry muffins and you will be thinking spring by tonight.
Add these Strawberry muffins to your Sunday morning breakfast or consider serving them as a light dessert after dinner. I like to serve Strawberry Muffins warm from the oven. You can split them and add a dollop of whipped cream or Cool Whip.
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/4 cup oat bran
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1/2 cup low fat or fat-free vanilla yogurt
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 1/3 cup coarsely chopped fresh strawberries (frozen will work as well)
- Preheat oven to 375º and spray the cups of a muffin tin with nonstick spray. (Makes about 12 regular size muffins or 24 mini muffins)
- In a medium bowl combine the flours, oat bran, sugar, salt, baking soda and baking powder. Whisk to combine.
- In a small bowl combine the lightly beaten eggs, yogurt, vegetable oil, milk, and vanilla extract. Whisk to combine ingredients, and the pour into the dry ingredients.
- With a wooden spoon stir the two mixtures together until just a little flour remains.
- Add chopped strawberries and lightly folding them into the batter and being careful not to over-mix.
- Spoon the muffin batter into the prepared tins to about 2/3 full and top with a sprinkle of sugar
- Place the muffin tins into the preheated oven and bake 14-17 minutes for full size muffins or about 10 minutes for mini muffins. Keep an eye on the muffins as baking times vary from oven to oven, and remove when muffins are nicely browned and a toothpick inserted into the center of a muffin comes out clean.