Zucchini is fresh at this time of year and really plentiful. With that in mind, this recipe for Stuffed Zucchini makes for a light summer meal. Meat can be used or eliminated from this recipe. I often choose to use ground turkey because I like its texture, but beef works well too.
To serve as an appetizer, bake as instructed and cut zucchini boats into thirds and serve on top of a green salad.
- 3 zucchini (1-2 inches thick)
- 1 Tablespoon butter
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup chopped celery
- 1 cup ground beef or turkey
- 1 slice of bread, cubed
- 1 8 oz. can tomato sauce
- 1/4 cup of grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 cup mozzarella cheese
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees
- Cook zucchini in boiling salted water for about 3 minutes
- Cut zucchini in half length-wise and scoop out pulp.
- Add salt and pepper to zucchini boats
- Melt butter and add onion, celery and meat.
- Cook until lightly browned.
- Add bread cubes, scooped out pulp and tomato sauce.
- Stuff mixture into zucchini boats.
- Place in shallow baking pan and sprinkle with cheese.
- Bake for 30 minutes – until tender.