One 43 degree morning and I’m thinking of a warm bowl of soup. This recipe for Sweet Potato Bisque will have you thinking ahead to the holidays. Sweet potatoes are purchased only for holiday meals but they are in the stores now and can be used for all kinds of recipes. This Sweet Potato Bisque is an indulgent, rich-tasting soup that requires few ingredients and is easy to make. Serve this as a meal or as an appetizer. It is sure to please.
- 1 tbsp. butter
- 1 tbsp. olive oil
- 1/2 small yellow onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper, for seasoning, plus 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 cup frozen corn, thawed
- 1 1/2 lbs. sweet potatoes, peeled & diced
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 2 cups apple juice
- 2 tsp. sage
- 1/2 tsp. fine white pepper
- 1/8 tsp. allspice
- 1/8 tsp. cayenne
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- Add butter and oil to a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Once the butter foams, add the onion and garlic and saute until soft, about 3 to 4 minutes. Season with salt and pepper, to taste. Add the corn and cook for 1 more minute.
- Add the sweet potatoes, chicken broth, apple juice, 2 teaspoons seasoning, white pepper, remaining 1 1/2 teaspoons of salt, allspice, and cayenne. Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat and simmer until the potatoes are cooked through and fork tender, about 20 minutes.
- Use an immersion blender and puree the bisque until smooth. Taste for seasoning, then stir in the heavy cream. Rewarm over low heat.