Sweet potato fritters are perfect at this time of year. Our markets are bringing in fresh sweet potatoes, yams, and winter squash.
These Sweet Potato Fritters are a healthy choice that work nicely as a meatless meal or as a side dish served along with fish, chicken or turkey.
- 1 large sweet potato (about 1 pound)
- 3 tablespoons canola oil, divided
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 large poblano peppers or small green bell peppers, chopped
- 1 15-ounce can pinto beans, rinsed
- 1 1/4 teaspoon smoked paprika (see Note), divided
- 3/4 teaspoon salt, divided
- 3/4 cup fine yellow cornmeal
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 3/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 1/4 cup water
- 4 lime wedges for garnish
- Preheat oven to 425°F. Coat a baking sheet with cooking spray.
- Prick sweet potato in several places with a fork. Microwave on High until just cooked through, 7 to 10 minutes or place in a baking dish and bake at 425ºF until tender all the way to the center, about 1 hour.Set aside to cool.
- Meanwhile, heat 1 tablespoon oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add onion and peppers and cook, stirring occasionally, until softened, 4 to 6 minutes. Set aside 1/2 cup of the mixture. Add beans, 1/2 teaspoon paprika and 1/4 teaspoon salt to the pan. Cook, stirring occasionally, until heated through, about 2 minutes. Cover and set aside.
- Whisk cornmeal, flour, baking powder, the remaining 3/4 teaspoon paprika and 1/2 teaspoon salt in a medium bowl. Peel the sweet potato and mash in a large bowl with a fork. Stir in the reserved onion-pepper mixture, egg and water. Add the cornmeal mixture and stir until just combined.
- Form the sweet potato mixture into eight 3-inch oval fritters, using a generous 1/4 cup for each. Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Cook 4 fritters until golden brown, 1 to 2 minutes per side. Transfer to the prepared baking sheet. Repeat with the remaining fritters and oil.
- Bake the fritters until puffed and firm to the touch, 8 to 10 minutes. Serve the fritters with the reserved bean mixture and lime wedges, if desired.