This recipe for sweet and sour bok choy is great served as a side or even as an appetizer. The combination of sweet, sour, and spicy comes across beautifully in this recipe. Bok choy has very few calories, offers a wonderful texture, and is full of flavor.
If you are looking for a low calorie, healthy main meal, simply add some boneless chicken breast, lean sliced pork, or fresh shrimp to this sweet and sour bok choy recipe and you will have a hearty main meal.
- 3 slices bok choy
- 6 red peppers, chopped
- 1 tbsp. chopped scallion
- 1 tbsp. sugar, or to taste
- 1 tbsp. salt, or to taste
- 3 tbsps. rice vinegar
- 1 tbsp. light soy sauce
- 1 tsp. sesame oil
- 3 tbsps. vegetable oil for stir-frying
- Cut the boy choy into slices – cut on an angle.
- Preheat a wok over high heat for 1 minute before adding 3 tbsps. vegetable oil, heat until hot, then saute scallion, and red pepper until aromatic, about 30 seconds, do not brown.
- Add bok choy and stir fry over high heat for 2 minutes, then season with sugar, salt, rice vinegar, and light soy sauce, do not make it too salty, keep stirring for another 1 minute
- When nearly done, sprinkle with sesame oil if desired, serve hot on a plate.