I’m always looking for quick and easy recipes to serve when I have guests. Often when I am entertaining I am trying to satisfy a number of dietary needs. I will be serving salmon on Friday for my son’s birthday, but I have a number of people attending his party who don’t eat fish so I’m trying to supplement with another meal which is easy. I’ve decided on a sweet & sour chicken stir fry.
I like the below recipe which I found on the Dole website because all of the ingredients are gluten free and one of my guests is on a gluten free diet. In addition, this is a very simple recipe and uses ingredients that I already have in the house. This is a great last-minute recipe that will allow me to get dinner on the table without a great deal of effort.
- 3 tablespoons ketchup
- 1 tablespoon vinegar
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1/2 package (16 oz.) frozen stir-fry vegetables or other frozen vegetable combination (such as broccoli, red pepper, mushrooms and onions)*
- 1 can (20 oz.) DOLE® Pineapple Chunks, drained
- Hot cooked rice
- Combine ketchup, vinegar and soy sauce in small bowl; set aside.
- Cook and stir chicken in large skillet or wok in hot oil over medium-high heat until chicken is browned.
- Stir in vegetables; cover. Reduce heat to low; cook 2 to 3 minutes or until vegetables are tender-crisp, stirring occasionally. Stir in pineapple chunks and reserved sauce; cook and stir until pineapple is heated though. Serve over hot cooked rice.
- *Tip: Fresh stir-fry vegetable combination can be used in place of frozen vegetables. When adding fresh vegetables, add 2 tablespoons of juice from canned pineapple and increase cooking time to 4 minutes or until vegetables are tender-crisp.