This tangy crab grilled cheese melt is definitely not one of the healthier recipe choices, but it most certainly is an assault on the taste buds and a treat that must be had. Sometimes you just need to completely indulge.
Once again, with this crab grilled cheese melt, you can substitute ingredients to taste. Perhaps you’d prefer gouda or blue cheese instead of cheddar. Maybe you’d like this sandwich on rye or wheat. Anything goes. Create your own custom tangy crab grilled cheese melt.
- 6 oz can crabmeat, well drained
- 1/3 cup finely minced Yellow Wax, Cubanelle or long Italian Peppers (Note: all of these peppers have a hint of heat)
- 2 green onions (tops only), minced
- 1 stalk celery, finely diced
- 3 Tbsp mayonnaise
- 1 tsp Tabasco sauce (May substitute another pepper sauce – If you are unsure of how hot the sauce is, reduce the amount used. You can always add more.)
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 4 thick slices light-textured, grainy bread (I used Pepperidge Farm Oat Nut bread.)
- Butter for spreading
- Paprika for dusting
- 6 oz sharp cheddar cheese shredded
- Combine the first seven ingredients (crabmeat to black pepper) in a bowl.
- Toast the bread lightly on both sides. Heat a skillet or griddle over medium-low heat.
- Generously spread two slices of bread with butter and dust generously with paprika. Place bread butter side down into the pan.
- Distribute 1/4 of the cheese on each of the two slices. Spread half the crab salad on each; top with remaining cheese.
- Butter and sprinkle paprika on the remaining bread and place on top (butter side up). Press down very gently,
- Cook sandwich until bottom is crisp; then carefully turn over and cook until other side is crisp.
- Cut with a serrated or very sharp knife, taking care not to press out the filling.
- Serve with bread & butter pickles.
- Makes 2 sandwiches.