- 1/3 cup finely chopped onion
- 1/3 cup finely chopped celery
- 2 tablespoon finely chopped red sweet pepper
- 1 tablespoon margarine or butter
- 3 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon very finely chopped lemongrass (white portion only) or 1 teaspoon finely shredded lemon peel
- 1/4 teaspoon ground red pepper
- 1 (14-ounce) can chicken broth (about 1 3/4 cups)
- 1 (13 1/2-ounce) can unsweetened coconut milk (about 1 1/2 cups)
- 1/2 cup creamy peanut butter
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1/4 cup chopped peanuts (optional)
- 2 to 3 teaspoon snipped fresh cilantro (optional)
- 4 to 5 thin red sweet pepper strips (optional)
- In a medium saucepan cook onion, celery, and finely chopped red sweet pepper in hot margarine or butter about 4 minutes or until vegetables are tender, stirring occasionally. Stir in flour, lemongrass or lemon peel, and ground red pepper. Add chicken broth and coconut milk all at once. Cook and stir until mixture is slightly thickened and bubbly. Cook and stir for 1 minute more.
- Add peanut butter and soy sauce; stir until well blended and heated through. If desired, top each serving with peanuts, cilantro, and red pepper strips.
Makes 8 appetizer or side-dish servings.
Cooking Tip: To make a more hearty soup, add 1 to 2 cups of cooked chicken breast cut into bite-sized pieces.