Tomato Bacon Jam doesn’t sound like jam at all, does it? This tomato bacon jam is delicious spread on your favorite sandwich and is amazing on a grilled cheese sandwich. Try serving it on toasted Italian bread or using it in place of steak sauce. Once you try it you will be thinking up any excuse to use it.
- 6 pieces cooked, smoked bacon; finely chopped
- 2 pounds ripe tomatoes, chopped
- 1 sweet yellow onion, finely diced
- 1 cup white sugar
- 2 1/2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoons sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 dash cayenne pepper
- Cook the bacon in a large skillet over medium-high heat, turning occasionally, until evenly browned, about 10 minutes. Drain the bacon slices on paper towels. Crumble bacon when cool.
- Stir tomatoes, sweet onion, sugar, apple cider vinegar, salt, black pepper, and hot sauce together in a saucepan and bring to a boil, stirring constantly to dissolve sugar.
- Stir in chopped bacon and cook over medium heat, stirring often, until the spread is very thick, about 1 hour. Adjust salt and black pepper.
- Cool and spoon into a 1-pint glass jar with a lid; keeps refrigerated for 1 week or frozen for 2 months. If freezing, put spread into small jars and let jars thaw in refrigerator overnight before using.