This Tomato Basil Soup is simple and quick to make and is hearty enough to be a main course if served with a salad or sandwich.
- 1 28 oz. can diced tomatoes or 2 pounds fresh tomatoes, diced
- 1 15 oz. can cannellini beans or fresh beans already cooked
- 2 Tbsp. tomato paste
- 1 cup onion, diced
- Olive oil
- Sea Salt
- 1/2 cup, plus some for a garnish, Basil, sliced thinly
- Sauté onion with pinch of sea salt, then add tomato paste and sauté and blend into the onions.
- Add cannellini beans, tomatoes and 3 1/2 cups of water. Stir until it is all combined.
- Add 1/2 cup sliced basil and bring to a boil, simmer 15-20 minutes.
- Blend with a hand-emersion blender or in a regular blender, then season with 2 tsps. sea salt and 1 tsp. black pepper.
- If the soup is too thick, you can add some more water and add a bit more seasoning.
- Simmer another 5-7 minutes.
- Season to taste.
- Garnish with basil and croutons.