Tortellini & Peas is a quick and easy recipe to make. One of the reasons I love this recipe is that the ingredients are almost always on hand. Since you can now buy tortellini where you find pasta in the supermarket, it is easy to stock on your pantry shelf. Frozen peas are always on hand. Combine the two and you have a delightful Tortellini & Peas dinner that tastes gourmet, but is completely effortless.
Tortellini & Peas is one of those meals that I throw together when I get unexpected dinner guests or when I simply don’t feel like fussing with a complex meal. You have to love a meal that is put together in 15 minutes of less and tastes like a million bucks.
- Coarse salt and ground pepper
- 1 1/2 pounds cheese tortellini – fresh, frozen, or shelf-stable
- 1 package (10 ounces) frozen peas
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 clove garlic, smashed
- 1/2 cup shredded Parmesan cheese, plus more for serving (optional)
- In a large pot of boiling salted water, cook tortellini about 2 minutes less than package instructions.
- Add peas; cook until pasta is al dente and peas are tender, 2 minutes more.
- Reserving 1 cup pasta water, drain.
- Set aside pasta and peas.
- Melt butter in pasta pot over medium-low heat.
- Add garlic; cook until fragrant, about 1 minute. Discard garlic.
- To pasta pot, add pasta and peas, Parmesan, and 3/4 cup reserved pasta water; season with salt and pepper.
- Toss to coat. Add more pasta water, if necessary, to thin sauce.
- Serve, topped with additional Parmesan if desire