The secret ingredient in this indulgent, creamy tortellini with bacon and peas is cream cheese. The cream cheese gives this dish an Alfredo-like creaminess which is countered by the delicious crunch of bacon and the pop of sweet peas. Mushrooms can be omitted, but they offer yet another flavor and texture element. I love recipes that, when served, appear as if I’ve slaved for hours. This is one of them. Keep this recipe on hand for a time when you are looking to entertain but are not in the mood for a lot of fuss.
- 2 (13oz) packages of cheese tortellini
- 1 (8oz) block of cream cheese
- 1 (8oz) packet of cheddar jack cheese
- 1 container of sliced mushrooms
- 1 (8.5 oz) can of sweet peas
- 6-8 slices of bacon
- olive oil
- garlic powder
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil, add the tortellini and cook for about 3-5 minutes. (Tortellini is done cooking when they will float on top of the water.) Drain and add back to the pot.
- While the tortellini is still hot, add small slices of the cream cheese and gently mix until melted. Continue to stir in the cream cheese until the block is finished.
- Stir in 2 big hand full’s of the cheddar jack cheese and stir. If the cream cheese and cheddar cheese is not melting, turn the heat on low and continue to stir.
- In a sauté pan, place the bacon strips and turn on medium heat and cook until they are crispy. Once they are crispy, chop into small pieces and place aside. In that same sauté pan add the mushrooms and olive oil, and sauté until soft.
- Add the bacon and mushrooms to the tortellini once the cheese and cream cheese are melted.
- In a small pot, heat peas, drain and add to the tortellini.
- Once all of the ingredients are added to the tortellini pot, season with salt, pepper and garlic powder to taste and serve!