Here’s a recipe for traditional macaroni salad. There are so many wonderful macaroni salad recipes but sometimes I like to make the macaroni salad that was “The” macaroni salad of my childhood.
There isn’t anything fancy about this recipe, but it delivers simple, great taste and is perfect served along with a sandwich or a burger.
- 2 cups dry elbow macaroni, cooked, rinsed, and drained
- 1/3 cup diced celery
- 1/4 cup minced red or Vidalia onion
- 1 tablespoon minced flat-leaf parsley
- 1/2 cup diced red or green pepper
- 1/2 cup prepared mayonnaise
- 3/4 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1 1/2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 1/2 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 3 tablespoons sour cream
- kosher salt to taste
- Freshly ground black pepper
In a large bowl combine the macaroni, celery, onion, parsley and peppers, if using. In a small bowl, whisk together the mayonnaise, mustard, sugar, vinegar, sour cream and salt. Pour the dressing over the salad and stir to combine. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Serve. Store covered in the refrigerator, for up to 3 days.