Watermelon truly signifies summertime. By the time watermelon is in the stores, we are all craving summer fruit. This Watermelon Fire & Ice Salsa is perfect for one of those summertime party events. It is hot and cool and Delicious!
If red, yellow and orange peppers are available in the store, adding them to this delicious watermelon fire and ice salsa will mix it up a bit offering a burst of mild flavors and a ton of crazy color.
- 3 cups finely diced watermelon (approx. 1/4″)
- 1/2 cup finely diced green bell pepper
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 2 tablespoons fresh cilantro, chopped
- 3 tablespoons green onions, chopped
- 2 tablespoons jalapeno pepper, seeded and finely diced
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic salt
- In a large bowl, gently mix together the chopped watermelon, green bell pepper, lime juice, cilantro, green onions, jalapeno with a spoon. Pour into a colander or mesh strainer and gently stir to strain out any extra juices. Then add in garlic salt, transfer to a serving bowl (or hollowed-out watermelon half) and serve immediately.
- To avoid having your salsa get too juicy if you aren’t serving it immediately, set aside a few extra minutes after you take it out of the refrigerator to repeat the colander/strainer step, and drain out any extra juices that have naturally accumulated. Second, definitely wait to add the garlic salt until it’s ready to serve! The properties in salt tend to drain fruit of their juices fairly quickly, and even age melons a bit. So save it until the end, and then enjoy, enjoy!
Adapted from All Recipes http://allrecipes.com/recipe/watermelon-fire-and-ice-salsa/