Wild rice has a wonderfully nutty flavor and is a great change-of-pace side dish. I like this recipe for Wild Rice & Chickpea salad because it has wonderful textures and flavors….and it is a healthy recipe made from “real” ingredients.
This recipe for Wild Rice & Chickpeas works when I am looking to provide protein to my teenager who has decided not to eat any meat. It is substantial enough to serve as a meal and flavorful enough to be eaten as a meal. This Wild Rice & Chickpea Salad also works as a gluten-free recipe.
- 1 1/2 cups uncooked wild rice
- 1 cup uncooked long grain brown rice
- 2 cups chickpeas, drained and rinsed*
- 1 large sweet red pepper, finely diced
- 2 roma tomatoes, finely diced
- 1 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- 1 cup dried cranberries
- 1 cup chopped toasted pecans
- 2 Tbsp honey, warmed to liquid
- 1 Tbsp grated ginger
- 1 clove garlic, grated or crushed
- 1/4 cup Bragg or soy sauce
- 1/4 cup rice wine vinegar
- 3 Tbsp sesame oil
Cook brown and wild rice – this normally takes around 45 minutes. Set aside to cool. Whisk dressing ingredients together, and set aside. Once the rices have cooled, combine in a large bowl. Add chickpeas, red pepper, tomatoes, cilantro, and dried cranberries. Pour the dressing over the top and stir well to combine ingredients. If you are serving immediately, add the pecans, otherwise, save them and toss them through the salad at the last minute.