Wild rice with dried fruit and crunchy almonds makes a tasty and colorful side dish or rice salad. Pack with flavor and nutrition, this recipe is sure to please.
- 1 can (14 ounce size) chicken broth
- 2 1/2 cups wild rice
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1/2 cup red pepper, diced
- 1/2 cup onion, chopped
- 1 1/2 cup celery, chopped
- 1 apple, peeled, cored, and diced
- 1 teaspoon thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon sage
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries
- 1/2 cup dried apricots, diced
- 1/2 cup slivered almonds
- In a medium saucepan add rice and chicken broth. Bring to a boil. Cover and reduce heat to simmer for about 45 minutes or until rice is tender and broth is absorbed.
- While rice is cooking, melt butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Cook onion, celery, red peppers, and apple for about 5 minutes, stirring constantly, until tender. Stir in cranberries, apricots, and almonds. When rice is cooked, add to mixture and mix well.