With summer upon us, it is time to head to the farm stand and buy what is growing in our fields. Farm fresh Zucchini, corn, and tomatoes are in and this recipe for Zucchini, Corn and Tomato Cakes takes advanatge of all three farm fresh ingredients to make a delicious appetizer or healthy meatless meal. If you want to add a bit of spice to these cakes serve with Spicy Aioli or dice a jalepeno into the cakes.
- 1/2 Cup Zucchini, Diced
- 1 Cup Flour
- 1 1/2 tsp Baking Powder
- 2 Eggs
- 3/4 Cup Buttermilk
- 2 Corn Cobs, Kernels Removed (1 1/2 cups)
- 1/4 Cups Red Onion, Diced
- 1 Large Tomato, Seeded and Diced
- 1/2 tsp. Cayenne Pepper
- Salt & Pepper to taste
- Canola Oil
- Place diced zucchini in paper towel lined bowl, sprinkle with salt and cover with another later of paper towels.
- Let zucchini sit for a few minutes and then squeeze out as much water as possible.
- Combine flour, baking powder, eggs and buttermilk and mix well.
- Add vegetables and cayenne pepper, salt and pepper to taste.
- Heat a thin layer of canola oil in a skillet over medium heat.
- Gently drop dollops of about 2 Tablespoons of the mixture in the pan.
- Flip when the bottom edge is looking golden and crisp. Continue until all batter is used.
- Put finished cakes onto a baking sheet and keep in warm oven until ready to serve.
- Serve with Spicy Aioli