Zucchini is in the markets, at the farm stands, and ready to pick. Fried Zucchini sticks are easy to make and a delicious way to eat this delightful vegetable.
- 1 small to medium sized zucchini
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1 egg
- 1 cup panko breadcrumbs
- salt and pepper to taste
- vegetable oil
- Slice zucchini into 2-2 1/2 inch long cylinders. Cut each cylinder in half lengthwise, then cut each half into 4-5 sticks (depending on thickness of zucchini). You want them to be an easy size to bite.
- Place your flour, egg and panko in three separate bowls. Mix the egg well with a fork. Add some sea salt and pepper to the panko.
- Dip each zucchini stick in the flour, then the egg, then the panko and place on a plate. Once all sticks have been dipped, refrigerate about half an hour.
- Five minutes before you’re ready to cook, heat an inch of vegetable oil in a large pot. Using a slotted spoon, carefully lower the zucchini sticks into the hot oil. Fry for about 5 minutes or until golden and crispy.
- Serve with ranch dressing, tomato sauce or your dipping sauce. Be careful as they will be hot!