It is officially soup season and with the cold comes less time spent outdoors and moving…so with that in mind, here is a hearty, warm-your-bones, healthy soup that tastes great!
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 shallot, minced
- 2 cloves of garlic, roughly chopped
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 carrots, chopped
- 3 cups of kale, cup up
- 1 can of your favorite beans – I like cannellini beans
- 1 can whole tomatoes, smashed
- 1 tablespoon of hot paprika (if you like a bit of a kick)
- 8 cups of water of vegetable broth
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Heat olive oil in soup pot. add garlic, shallot and onions and cook until aromatic and onions are translucent.
- Add the kale to wilt a bit – 3-4 minutes
- Add carrots, canned tomatoes, vegetable broth (or water).
- Season with salt, pepper, and hot paprika.
- Cook until carrots and kale are tender.
- Add canned beans.
- Serve hot with crusty bread and a sprinkle of grated cheese (if desired).